4061 Powder Mill Road, Suite 705 • Calverton, MD 20705 • Phone: 301.595.8600 • Toll Free: 877.595.8605

If you discover you made a mistake on your tax return, you can still file an amended return with corrections. Mistakes may involve filing status, income levels, credits, or deductions.

Here are some tips for filing an amended return:

  • Fill out paper Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Mail the form to the address in the form’s instructions. If you received an IRS notice, send the form to the address in the notice.
  • Include other IRS forms or schedules with Form 1040X (if you used them during your initial filing).
  • Don’t send an amended return to correct math errors. The IRS makes corrections.
  • Don’t send an amended form if you forgot to include required forms or schedules. The IRS sends notices requesting any missing items.
  • You’ll need to send separate 1040X forms (in separate envelopes) for each year you’re filing amendments.
  • Wait for the refund from the original return before filing an amended return. You may cash the refund check.
  • If you owe money and are sending an amended return, pay the tax as soon as possible. Interest and penalties accrue.
  • Processing amended forms may take up to 16 weeks.

Other details may apply, and you can find more information on the IRS website.

This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax advice. We suggest you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax advisor.

Tip adapted from the IRS.gov

Links are being provided for information purposes only. Raymond James is not affiliated with and does not endorse, authorize or sponsor any of the listed websites or their respective sponsors. Raymond James is not responsible for the content of any website or the collection or use of information regarding any website’s users and/or members. Raymond James does not provide tax or legal services. Please discuss these matters with the appropriate professional.