You might have heard that your plate should have all the colors of the rainbow, but do you know why? Every food has their own health benefits and colors can help you determine which health benefits you’re enjoying. Here’s a quick summary of some of the benefits associated with these colored foods:
- Red foods contain lycopene, which is a powerful antioxidant that can help reduce the risk of cancer and keep our heart healthy.
- Orange/yellow foods have lots of carotenoids, which help maintain healthy mucous membranes, eyes, and might help prevent cataracts and blindness.
- Green foods contain various compounds that have anti-cancer properties. They’re also an excellent source of folate.
- Blue/purple foods have antioxidants called anthocyanins, which can help protect cells from damage and may reduce the risk of cancer, stroke, and heart disease.
- White foods are known for their antiviral and antibacterial properties, and some (like bananas) are a good source of potassium.
Links are being provided for information purposes only. Raymond James is not affiliated with and does not endorse, authorize or sponsor any of the listed websites or their respective sponsors. Raymond James is not responsible for the content of any website or the collection or use of information regarding any website’s users and/or members. Raymond James does not provide tax or legal services. Please discuss these matters with the appropriate professional.