While around 60% of us make New Year’s Resolutions, only 8% of us achieve them. But don’t let that discourage you! Transform your New Year’s Resolution into a “S.M.A.R.T.” goal, following these criteria.
- Specificity – How could you reach this goal? Consider the who, what, when, where, which, and why of the process.
- Measurability – Set some metrics.
- Achievability – Define small, attainable subtasks.
- Relevance – Will the steps yield the desired result?
- Timeliness – Assign realistic deadlines for each step.
So, instead of resolving to “add money to my rainy day fund,” plan to “add $50 to my rainy day fund per month for home repairs.” You can reassess and adjust your plan with time.
Start S.M.A.R.T. and make it easier to realize your 2020 goals.
Tip adapted from Inc.com and SmartSheet.com
Links are being provided for information purposes only. Raymond James is not affiliated with and does not endorse, authorize or sponsor any of the listed websites or their respective sponsors. Raymond James is not responsible for the content of any website or the collection or use of information regarding any website’s users and/or members. Raymond James does not provide tax or legal services. Please discuss these matters with the appropriate professional.