This recipe was tested by Sara Westrick and it proved to be a delicious and hearty fall soup.
5 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purposed flour
- 1 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add water, potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into potato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Sprinkle with bacon.
1 cup: 455 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1218mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Links are being provided for information purposes only. Raymond James is not affiliated with and does not endorse, authorize or sponsor any of the listed websites or their respective sponsors. Raymond James is not responsible for the content of any website or the collection or use of information regarding any website’s users and/or members. Raymond James does not provide tax or legal services. Please discuss these matters with the appropriate professional.